Thursday, March 10, 2016

Meet Tori!

Grade / Major
Sophomore, Neuroscience. I hope to be accepted to PA school and one day specialize in neurology so that I can improve the care available for our military's veterans.

Tell us about yourself!
I'm a Navy brat, so I've moved at least 15 times since I was born (I've lost track!) It has had it's challenges, but it's an upbringing I wouldn't trade for anything as it's exposed me to so many different kinds of people and parts of the country. It's also brought me very close to my family. I used to be very shy when I was younger, but moving around so much as forced me to grow out of this so I've learned to be very bubbly from the start. I can still take some time to warm up to people at first, but once I trust someone I am a fiercely empathetic and loyal friend.

Why did you choose Alternative Break's Urban Youth Development trip?
Children are so important! In high school I wanted to be a teacher, so I did a teaching internship at a local middle school my senior year and absolutely loved it. I was also a swim coach for three years, combining two of my favorite things -- swimming and kids! Working with them is so fun and refreshing, you never know what they will say or do. They keep you on your toes! Although I don't want to be a teacher anymore, I still recognize that children are our future, and giving them the attention and reinforcement they deserve is critical to their self image and how they view their own future.

Favorite Hobbies:
I'm an avid Redditor, so you can already guess that I'm full of random facts. Like everyone else I love to watch television shows. Some of my favorites are Game of Thrones, House of Cards, Rick and Morty, The Walking Dead, and most importantly THE OFFICE. I also love to read and enjoy the outdoors.

Spirit Animal?
Ever since someone in high school told me my eyes looked like a "husky dog", the identity has kind of stuck. I think it fits because I'm also enthusiastic, energetic, and love to be a part of a pack -- and sometimes take the lead when needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment