Thursday, February 18, 2016

Meet Chris!




Grade / Major
Junior in Political Science with a Minor in History

Tell us about yourself!
Big question, but we'll give it a shot! :) I was born and raised in Mt. Juliet, TN, but Knoxville has quickly become a second home! Whether it’s been through being a camp counselor, writing for The Daily Beacon, or being an RA in Clement Hall, I’ve had the chance to take advantage of some great opportunities both on-campus and off. The "big dream" for me is to be the next Mr. Feeny! Just kidding (only sorta), but I am pursuing a career in teaching--specifically at the high school level--and hope to be the kind of teacher that goes above and beyond merely presenting material in a really dry way. (Bueller..Bueller..Bueller..) Some other little snippets: I'm a very punny person and a big fan of cheesy humor (#DadJokes). Also, I have never traveled further west than St. Louis (contrary to my last name), so I'll be tying this record again over the course of this trip.

Why did you choose Alternative Break's Urban Youth Development trip?

I have previous experiences working with youth of many ages and diverse backgrounds--including children from tough socioeconomic backgrounds-and have always enjoyed serving as a role model working as a summer camp counselor or in previous opportunities as well. When I heard about UYD as a trip topic for ASB, it really appealed to me as a unique chance to dedicate a week digging deep into issues that these youth face in their everyday lives. Not often do you have the opportunity to sort of leave the life you have in Knoxville (or wherever you call home) behind and spend it serving a place that we were aware was in need of an assist (even if that location hadn't yet been revealed). My hope is that despite these big issues that may face them, we will be able to make an impact and be able to better understand the stories that they live out day-to-day.

Favorite Hobbies:
Whenever I have free time, I occasionally like to Netflix binge shows like The Office, How I Met Your Mother, or Friends, cheer on the Vols, hang out with friends old and new, and make the occasional escape to the great outdoors either hiking, running, or just relaxing.

Spirit Animal?
I'd have to say a puppy--always goofy and quick to run around/be active, but I'm also a big proponent of sleeping and snuggling up in a toasty blanket. It's a perfect mix!

Anything else you would like to tell us?
Excited to get to know everyone on team better and to get this show on the road to St. Louis!

No comments:

Post a Comment