Thursday, February 4, 2016

Meet Molly and Wil!

Molly & Wil working with Habitat for Humanity on AB Leader retreat

First, we are super excited to lead a DREAM TEAM on a week of service!

Ranking applicants was an incredibly tough process. I think I speak for all Alt. Break trip leaders when I say that if we could have accepted everyone who applied, we would have. So many unique individuals with awesome experience, interests, and skills applied. If you know someone who did not make it into a trip team this year, tell them to apply again with you next year!!

Now, we would like to formally introduce ourselves...

I'm Wil!

I am a senior, graduating in May with a B.A. in Communications Studies. My family lives on a farm in Clinton, TN (30 min away from UTK), but I moved to Knoxville a couple of years ago. Farm life isn't for me. I am on my 6th year of work at the Knoxville Zoo, and I would not trade that time for anything in the world! Non-profits have a special space in my heart, and I plan on continuing to work in the management field when I graduate.

Our theme, urban youth development (known henceforth as UYD or #UYD), is incredibly important to me. I personally believe that the healthy development of children is the most critical and impactful responsibilities that adults and young adults have today. Through service at various non-profits, hardly a single day passes where I am not working directly with youth. One of my short-term goals (within the next year or so) is to be a Big for Big Brother Big Sister. One of my long-term family goals is to foster or adopt children.

I look forward to learning and serving with all of you on our trip! Let's do this!!! #dreamteam #UYD #ABLove

and I'm Molly!

I'm a sophomore from Memphis, TN majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Business. Besides being an Alternative Break Leader, I'm also involved in the Ignite Program, Student Alumni Associates, Running Club and The Daily Beacon. I'm a big fan of coffee, dogs, cheesy puns and making new friends (like ASB participants woooo).

Urban Youth Development is really meaningful to me because I think it's incredibly important to learn about factors that can hinder positive development in children and teens in order to work towards real change. I also love being able to invest in people early on in their lives and just build relationships with them! And of course I'm super stoked to serve with our ASB group and learn more about youth development in urban areas!! YAYYYYYYY

Next...

Very soon, we will introduce you to our Learning Partners, John and Janice! Stay tuned....

Now that our service sites are practically finalized and our dream team is assembled, our first meeting (Tuesday February 9th at 7 PM at the Panhellenic Multipurpose room) will be the official start of the adventure. We cannot wait to meet everyone and get the ball rolling for our Alt Break trip! Thank you everyone for choosing to spend your spring break with us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment