Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Meet Elizabeth!



Grade / Major
Junior Speech Pathology Major!

Tell us about yourself!
I am from a wonderfully small town in the very west corner of our state known as Dyersburg, Tn! It is 6 hours away from my beautiful new home in Knoxville (Tn is a really long state). I transfered here my sophmore year to pursue my dream of being a speech pathologist. I am in love with my new urban setting (I love urban things....such as urban youth!) I would love to move to a different part of the country (paciffic northwest ideally). My dream is to work in a hospital setting one day, so that I can help people of all ages. I was born with scarring around my corneas, and it left me with low vision so I would love to devote my life to helping others like so many have helped me. I am an avid reader/writer and a lifelong fan of all things disney and animation. You will often see my with my headphones in, because I love the way music has the power to energize you and lift you up. My favorite artists are Coldplay and Owl City. I love meeting new people and making new friends (like all of you), and I look forward to growing together as we embark on what I am sure will be the "Adventure of a Lifetime"

Why did you choose Alternative Break's Urban Youth Development trip?
I wanted to participate in the Urban Youth Development trip, because coming from a family full of educators (mom, aunt, and grandmother all proud teachers). I grew up learning about the struggles that some kids face everyday, and I want to do what I can to help. I believe at the core of each child is the desire for the same things: love, laughter, hope, and dreams. Every child deserves the best we have to offer, because as cliche as it sounds they really are our future. Now that I am what you might call a "young adult" (kind of a scary thought) I find myself often thinking of the adults who made me who I am today. The teachers, parents, and mentors I had throughout my childhood truly shaped all the best parts of me. I don't know what kind of impact we can make in these kids lives with one week, but I am committed to giving them the best of me for that week and I know the amazing team I am going with feels the same way. I do know for sure that during the week we are there these kids are going to get a whole lot of love, and that's a beautiful place to start!

Favorite Hobbies:
I love to read and write. I also love music and everything Disney!

Spirit Animal?
Mabel Pines from Gravity Falls (yes it is a cartoon on disney channel and yes you should absolutely watch it)

Anything else you would like to tell us?
I am already feeling some major love from all corners of this group and I can't wait to get to know each and every one of you!


No comments:

Post a Comment